Six Things I've Learnt Since I Started Blogging


 I'm not famous yet so I wouldn't say I know it all.  However, daily experiences and a few biographies can teach us one or two things about chasing a dream and being recognized for it. 



I am grateful to those who have supported me and have taught me what I know now, and for those I am constantly learning from. 
The things I have learnt would be helpful to those who pursue a career that may have their personal lives put under a spotlight of scrutiny.
Generally, the following suggestions should be helpful as you chase your dreams even though it might not exactly be in media or the likes because eventually, successful people get recognized for what they do.



The rules I have suggested here affects contemporaries because we live in an age where the most, want one form of recognition or the other. This shouldn't be fought off as everyone wants that feeling of self worth as Dale Carnegie had written in his book “How To Win Friends And Influence People”.  I'm sure you didn't come here to learn “pride comes before a fall”, religion must have taught you that. These rules are real and I have had to deal with the situations myself. 
  • Loud It: Nobody can promote your work or brand better than you would yourself so never shy away from an opportunity to get under the spotlight. Always be prepared or the early spotlight can set you back a bit. Remember, first impression matters.
  • Start Now (Progress Not Perfection): It's a constant struggle trying to make things what you've imagined them to be while having  limited resources. Start today and  keep pushing, progress not perfection. People have to see that you are serious about what you do before they would buy into the idea.  Investors are looking for self-starters, so you'd always be asked questions like "what have you done yourself?" or "Have much do you have?"
  • Don't Jump (Turning Down Opportunities): So I just got a call from Miller who coincidentally shot the photos I have used for this post. We talked about a few opportunities which he turned down. We both think it's a good decision considering he isn't prepared for such projects as some, may not benefit him in the long run. There's a tendency to project yourself to be something you are not. I agree, we have to put a good image forward but it's basically about presentation and not about pretending to be rich. At the start of your career, there's much work to be done like getting the right skill set or training. If you've promoted yourself and have nothing to offer, you'd lose clients eventually. There's a way you'd project yourself that might be somewhat overrated. That's not a problem until opportunities you aren't ready for start rolling in. You have to know when to say no to certain opportunities as they aren't for you and can set you back if not managed properly. 
  • Don't Let Insecurity Pull You Down: Firstly, you can't succeed in the media industry if you are insecure, you can't succeed in anything at all that requires you projecting yourself before an audience. My mentor, Uncle J once said “ people see you as you see yourself whether you believe it or not”. Since he told me that I have been taking conscious steps towards conditioning my mind on how I want to be seen. In my opinion, everyone has insecurities but we don't all let it get to us. When you let your insecurities rule you, they would lead to low self esteem which means zero confidence and that my friend is a recipe for failure. 
  • Make Your Own Decisions: When trying to build a brand or at the start of your career, you will get critics and advisers. You have to decide who you'd listen to and also remember to decide for yourself. Your mentors are the first people to go to for advice before friends , friends who have proven to be loyal. You can also listen to family, they usually have your best interest at heart, but not always. Profile your social and random critics, jealous and envious people are direct, rigid and opinionated.  
  • Your Audience Decides At First: Rihanna loved reggae but had to do R&B and Hip Hop at the start of her career because that's what the audience wanted at the time. I love talking about life and social issues even though the thought process for that is burdensome. People however, seem to be interested in what I have to say about fitness and my personal life more than what I have to say about social issues. I have also been told that ‘sex sells’, ask a model what that means. My point is, at the start of your career, you may have to do what the audience wants because they are your fans and love you for a certain reason but over time you can do whatever genre of art you want like Rihanna did much later, experimenting with reggae.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women In Fitness: Dorathy Olali

We Don't Workout For Fun

Riding On The High Horse of Privilege